Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

My new year began with something I didn't have last year.

A ring!


Yesterday was going down the tubes, I was so late getting home for Alan & I to head off to his last family holiday celebration, as I had been out buying his anniversary present. And my friend had gone out with me to help me pick this gift, and then insisted he buy me a nice dress for my anniversary dinner later that night, which, among other things, made me very late. Due to being late, I was speeding on the way home and got pulled over. I immediately started blubbering, and not because I was trying to get out of the ticket (tho the cop felt so bad, he might have let me off if I wasn't going 15 over), and I sat there blubbering about how mad Alan was going to be. The cop asked what I was doing out in Belden and I began bawling all over as I said "Buying his anniversary gift!" The cop said he couldn't be that mad, and I knew he had to be mad, he hadn't answered any of my texts when I texted him to say I'd been pulled over.

I finally got home, almost a full 40 min late and I walk in the door still sniveling and sobbing. Alan hugs me and says it's ok, to just go get ready because we're late. As I'm getting ready, he tells me I have to find my anniversary gift because he didn't feel like wrapping it, and hands me an envelope. He then sends me on a goose hunt for more envelopes around our home, each one containing a clue about something we like or some joke we have. The last few send me to the basement, and the last clue is in our Nerf gun collection. It sends me back upstairs, to which I turn the corner at the top of the stairs and he was on one knee.

I, of course, said yes.

We then went to see his family, then out to dinner with our friends, and back home to ring in the new year with more friends.

Yeah, I got my first speeding ticket, but I also got engaged.

We're getting married!!!!!

So, to make this slightly more relevant to overall theme of this blog, I do want to say how happy and heart warming it was to see the "likes" and comments roll in on facebook when we posted it and the picture of the ring. I was so touched and taken aback by how much support there was. And it seems so silly, but again, after having been engaged & married before, I was so nervous that everyone would think I was crying wolf again. But the outpouring of support just made me tear up again. :)

I called my best friend to tell her the news, and after that I texted her the picture. She texted me back to say how happy she & her mom are for me after all that I've been through. But, to be honest, it's not been much more than many other young people. Even if mine included a divorce, many other people have dealt with similar stuff without the legal issues. But it does reassure me that if you use your experiences to learn and build yourself, and to soak it in, rather than let it beat you down into a bitter, angry person, that things will get better. It's all in your attitude, and your attitude is what will bring bigger and better things your way.

I'm so happy I could start crying again. <3

Edited to add: I keep forgetting to mention this, since it's on the inside and I can't see it, but Alan had the ring inscribed with a line from our song. It says "I'll never let you go," from Starlight by Muse. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment