Saturday, August 25, 2012

Does he have your back?

Tonight has been eye opening and frustrating, but the best thing that I have learned is about Alan. When we started dating, Alan wasn't what I'd call assertive, or vocal about his political or other beliefs. And this didn't bother me. I'm loud and opinionated, but I know not everyone is, nor that everyone agrees. Over time, Alan and I found ourselves agreeing on many ideas and beliefs, and the longer we've been together the more vocal he's become.

For a while now, I've been concerned that some of my posts and the discussions that ensue will alienate some of his family, but I've always done my best to at least try to be civil and unoffensive. I think intelligent discourse, even if no one changes their mind, is one of the best ways to learn. But apparently this was too offensive for two of Alan's family members. His ensuing rage and jump to my defense was one of the sweetest thing I've ever seen, and the first time a guy has really been so concerned about that kind of thing. I have a true partner and knight, and he is wonderful at it. I sometimes take for granted all the changes Alan has made in the last two years and how much he has grown. I do my best to challenge him and he exceeds it every time. And now I know he has my back, we're fighting on the same team, and always will. He's beautiful, and I can't express how in love with him I am.

<3

2 comments: